It’s been a weird week getting used to my dad being out all day. When he was self-employed, my dad used to do a lot of work at home, and I would often sit beside him suggesting we mix a drink. But now he’s joined the Monday-to-Friday crowd and left me to my own devices.
No complaints, though, because I figure that along with that first regular paycheque, the liquor train will roll in as well. We are going to get wasted, people. I can’t imagine my dad wouldn’t take that cheque and blow it all at the liquor store.
But I kind of miss having my dad around. He’s pretty easy-going and he often finds interesting music. He found this, for instance.
But missing my dad is worth it if his new job will finance a fresh supply of TANQUERAY and BACARDI 151. I want him to succeed! But I wonder if he embodies the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People? OMG, I don’t even know what they are! Have you heard of them, my fellow inebriates?
It’s hard for me to really figure out what things like this mean (I can’t stand right now), but I’ll do my best. I figure my dad’s got the habits…but do I???
- BE PROACTIVE. Yes! If BROKER’S GIN isn’t available at your liquor store, contact them and find out why not. Next thing you know, you’ll have struck up a delightful relationship with their Business Development Manager Julia Gale, and Martin Dawson will give you a reassuring phone call. Check.
- BEGIN WITH THE END IN MIND. A couple of weeks ago my dad came home with a sampler set from Unibroue, the Quebeçois brewer of the famous TROIS PISTOLES. Of the four beers in the set, TROIS PISTOLES was the standout, whereas the others were a bit of a chore to get through. But we were committed to finishing it, even if it meant experiencing a weird fruity and slightly musky taste every single day. Check.
- PUT FIRST THINGS FIRST. I hope my dad understands this one, because I don’t get it at all. What things are first? What things should be first? Should I start with the Malibu or the wormy mescale? Calm down, LB… Okay. We need to have lighter things first, then progress to the hard stuff. First something sparkly: STRONGBOW APPLE CIDER. Then something weightier: CALIFORNIA CULT CLASSICS CHARDONNAY (2010). But then we have a dilemma. It’s no problem moving up to a higher alcohol content. But we can’t backtrack to a wine that doesn’t measure up to the chardonnay. Let’s do ROLF BINDER HALES BAROSSA VALLEY SHIRAZ (2007). And before passing out, a wee dram: GLENFARCLAS 17. Ahhhh!!! Highly effective.
- THINK WIN-WIN. If I drink the whole bottle and you get none of it, well, you won’t bring another bottle over, will you? And Christine, if you’re reading this, you have a standing invitation to share your TALISKER 18. I’ll trade you some Malibu. You know I’m good for it. 😉
- SEEK FIRST TO UNDERSTAND, THEN TO BE UNDERSTOOD. Oh come on, what drunk ever grasped this concept? Next.
- SYNERGIZE. Two heads are better than one, especially when you don’t have any brain cells.
- SHARPEN THE SAW. Holy crap, what the hell does that mean?! OMG, Covey means take care of your body and mind! Eat healthfully! Rest! Socialize meaningfully! Expand your spiritual side! Yikes!
I don’t know about my dad, but this is where Covey and I part ways. He obviously doesn’t endorse a dissolute life, nor would he endorse single-minded pursuit of liquor. Who is this guy anyway?
Did you know he comes from Utah? Yes, peeps, he is one of the most famous and successful Mormons in history.
My favorite thing about Mormonism is the magic underwear. Maybe, if we all had magic underwear, we’d be better people.
Still, reading the 7 Habits has made me feel a little conflicted. I totally want my dad to succeed; we need that liquor money to keep flowing. But I don’t want to picture him in his ginch, magic or otherwise. So should I tell him about the 7 Habits?
3 thoughts on “7 Habits of Highly Inebriated People”
Just came across this post today. Wonderful post. Had a dear friend that did his doctoral studies in SLC. Weird town. We tried to get into a magic underwear store -conveniently located in the mall- but were not allowed in. Guess we needed the magic password. It was probably polygamy, or alien but we may have been drinking at the time.
Holy shit Batman I LOVED the music link lmfao.
We have a Brokers Gin here in the states, but it’s obviously not the same. Broker’s gin here is one step above rotgut (which is what is usually in the pantry here. mixes well with grapefruit juice). Noticed your pics show a rather distinguished looking label and clearly is martini worthy, as opposed to ‘oh dear god don’t we have ANY mixers in this house?!’
Thanks for a great read. Cheers.
Ha, I forgot all about that music link! I should promote that a bit. Weird post–it’s been getting tons of hits in the election lead-up, I guess because so many people want to know about Mitt’s underwear. It’ll probably go back to no hits again soon.
I only learned how to pronounce “Nevada” properly this week. That’s what comes of being so drunk all the time.